LATEST..          43rd Island Steam Show this weekend 25th to 28th August          A Class 33 Diesel locomotive 33 202 will be joining us for our Diesel Gala - further details on the Diesel Gala page          All operating days and events can be found on our YOUR VISIT - Timetables page          Looking for gift ideas? Buy a FOOTPLATE EXPERIENCE VOUCHER today - date can be booked later to suit         
LATEST UPDATES
  • CW_4-Wheel_header

BOOK YOUR TICKET

•service update•

SAT 19 AUG

we are open

WE ARE OPERATING FROM OUR
BLUE TIMETABLE

4 WHEELED CARRIAGES

2343 - LBSCR 4-WHEEL 5-COMPARTMENT THIRD - BUILT 1896 - TO IOW 1925

One of a series of nine Second Class carriages designed by Robert Billinton, they were all downgraded to Third Class in 1911. On transfer to the Island in 1925, 2343 saw service as part of the 4 car Set 497.

Withdrawal in 1931 followed the arrival on the Island of the first London, Chatham and Dover bogie stock, the body was then sold and became a bungalow at Gurnard Marsh. On redevelopment of the site 2343 was donated to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, arriving at Havenstreet on 20th July 1984.

Restoration of the body started in 1993 and, following mounting on the underframe of Parcels and Miscellaneous Van S1617S, was returned to passenger service in 1997.
CW_4-Wheel_2343
LBSCR 5-Compartment Third 2343

6336 NLR 4-WHEEL 4-COMPARTMENT COMPOSITE - BUILT C1864 - TO IOW 1898

In December 1897 the Isle of Wight Railway purchased seven coaches from the North London Railway, among them was number 46. Originally a four compartment First Class carriage, one compartment was downgraded to Second Class by the IWR. After transfer of ownership to the Southern Railway 46 was allocated the new number of 6336 but never carried this number in service. Withdrawal took place on 27th February 1926.

In 1975 the body of 46 was rediscovered, built into a bungalow on Hayling Island. The owners generously donated the body to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and it returned to the Island during 1975. 46 was the first grounded body to be restored to passenger service by the Railway, being mounted on the underframe of a Southern Railway parcels van.

Following return to service in 1986 46 was entered in the Association of Railway Preservation Society's Best Preserved Carriage competition and, to the gratification of the small team who had carried out the work, was awarded first prize. When first restored the coach carried the varnished teak livery of the Isle of Wight Railway it has since been repainted in Southern Railway lined olive green carrying the number 6336.
CW_4-Wheel_6336
NLR 4-Compartment Composite 6336

SOUTHERN RAILWAY PUSH-PULL SET 484

CW_4-Wheel_Push_Pull_Set
W8 'Freshwater' at the head of the LCDR Push-Pull set.

LCDR 4-WHEEL SALOON BRAKE THIRD 4112 - BUILT 1898 - TO IOW 1924

CW_4-Wheel_4112

LCDR 4-WHEEL SALOON COMPOSITE 6369 - BUILT 1887 TO IOW 1924

CW_4-Wheel_6369
Both of these coaches, originally six wheelers, worked together on the Sheppey Light Railway, forming part of Set 40 from 1919. In 1924 the Southern Railway had them sent to Lancing works in Sussex for conversion to Push-Pull operation. Both vehicles lost their centre pair of wheels, 4112 becoming a Push-Pull driving trailer.

Together the pair became Push-Pull Set 484. The set worked mainly on the Merstone-Ventnor West branch although it did also work occasionally on the Freshwater and Bembridge lines.

Set 484 was withdrawn in 1938 and both carriage bodies sold out of service to become bungalows, 4112 at Gurnard Marsh and 6369 at Newtown. Both bodies were eventually acquired by the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and returned to service, mounted on former Southern Railway parcels van underframes. Set 484 is now in regular passenger service and, when hauled by an olive green 'Terrier', is truly a recreation of travel from a bygone age.

2515 LCDR 5-COMPARTMENT THIRD BUILT 1894 TO IOW 1930

This coach began life as a six wheel 4-Compartment Brake Second, being downgraded to Brake Third about 1899. In 1916 the centre pair of wheels was removed and 1924 the Guards observatories (duckets) were removed.

In 1929 it was selected for transfer to the Island but, because sufficient brake carriages were available, the Guard/Luggage area was converted into an additional Third Class compartment. Withdrawal took place in May 1937 and the body became a chalet at Brambles Chine, Colwell.

Following rescue by the Wight Locomotive Society it was moved to Havenstreet in 1981. 2515 has undergone restoration to full working order in Havenstreet Works, the completed vehicle emerging in the summer of 2002. The body is now mounted on the underframe of Parcels and Miscellaneous Van S1783S.

Part of the restoration process involved the creation of a wheelchair compartment, although the exterior appearance of the vehicle remains unchanged. The restored LCDR 2515 was the overall winner of the 2002 Heritage Railways Association Carriage and Wagon competition.
CW_4-Wheel_2515
LCDR 5-Compartment Third 2515

6378 LCDR 4-COMPARTMENT COMPOSITE BUILT 1886 TO IOW 1930

This was one of a series of First Class carriages built by the London Chatham and Dover Railway in its own workshops for boat train service. It originally ran on six wheels, the center pair being removed in 1920. No date has been confirmed when one compartment was downgraded from first to third Class making it a composite, but 1927 seems likely when selected for transfer to the Isle of Wight. 

In the event it was 1930 before it was transferred as part of Set 505. Withdrawal took place in 1937 when it became a garden chalet at Rookley Green from whence it was rescued in 1984. 6378 entered the C&W Workshop for restoration in 2004 and entered passenger service during the spring of 2009.
CW_4-Wheel_6378
LCDR 4-Compartment Composite 6378

6376 LCDR 4 COMPARTMENT COMPOSITE BUILT 1886-T0 IOW 1930

This was part of the same batch as 6378 and was also selected for use on the Isle of Wight. It was transferred in 1930 to be part of set 503. It’s withdrawal took place in 1936 and the body was also sold. It was sold to the Grandparents of the family who donated it to the IOWSR. It was originally sited on the west side of Thorness Bay, where the present holiday centre is. In approx 1950 it and several others were moved to the east side of Thorness Bay

Its initial use at the IOWSR will be as part of the Train Story display, where it will be kept in its current configuration as a Holiday Chalet. At present there are no plans to restore it for passenger use.  

LBSCR 3-Compartment Brake Third 4115 - Built 1896, to IOW 1925

In the half year to December 1896, the LBSCR turned out a batch of Billinton-designed four-wheelers. LBSCR no 1200 was transferred to the IOW on 27 June 1925. The coach was formed into set 498 as a three compartment brake third and allocated the number 4115. It says something of the state of the island's coach stock at the time that it was thought worthwhile shipping a near life expired vehicle across the Solent. 4115 soldiered on until October 1931, whereupon it was sold out of service and moved to Rew Steet, Gurnard and used as a bungalow. The coach was rescued for preservation and moved to Havenstreet in 2005. Restoration to passenger carrying condition commenced in 2013.
CW_4-Wheel_4115
LBSCR 3-Compartment Brake Third under restoration in the Havenstreet C&W workshop.


Click 
HERE to return to the Stock List or HERE to see details of our Grounded Bodies awaiting restoration.

FOLLOW IW STEAM RAILWAY

#

NEXT EVENT

The 43rd ISLAND STEAM SHOW

Bursting with surprises, the 43rd Island Stea...

25 August - 28 August 2017

• MORE INFO • BOOK NOW

Subscribe to our mailing list

LATEST NEWS

Appeal from the 'Friday Gang'

Appeal from the 'Friday Gang'

• READ MORE •

CLASS 33 DIESEL FOOTPLATE EXPERIENCE

CLASS 33 DIESEL FOOTPLATE EXPERIENCE

• READ MORE •
- ARCHIVES -