LATEST..          All operating days and events can be found on our YOUR VISIT - Timetables page          Looking for gift ideas? Buy a FOOTPLATE EXPERIENCE VOUCHER today - date can be booked later to suit          CHRISTMAS is COMING! This event fills up quickly so make sure you have your seats booked to avoid disappointment          See our SANTA SPECIALS & CHRISTMAS CARVERY pages now          Also running BOXING DAY and NEW YEAR'S DAY for a wonderful way to see the New Year in!
LATEST UPDATES
  • CW_Bogies_Header

BOOK YOUR TICKET

•service update•

SAT 21 OCT

No Trains Today

WE ARE NEXT OPERATING ON
Sunday 22 October

BOGIE CARRIAGES

2416 BOGIE 9-COMPARTMENT THIRD LBSCR BUILT 1916 - TO IOW 1936

2416 was built as a six compartment Brake Third and ran in this condition until selected for service on the Isle of Wight, when it was converted to a Full Third.

An extra three compartments replaced the Guards compartment, these are at the Wootton end of the coach. On arrival on the Island 2416 was based at Newport, being transferred to Ryde in 1949. 2416 was formed into the final steam working from Shanklin on 31st December 1966.
CW_Bogies_2416
LBSCR 9-Compartment Third 2416

4145 BOGIE 4-COMPARTMENT BRAKE THIRD SECR BUILT 1911 - TO IOW 1949

4149 BOGIE 4-COMPARTMENT BRAKE THIRD SECR BUILT 1911 - TO IOW 1949

These two carriages were built as 7 compartment Brake Composites with six Third and one Second Class compartments in addition to the Guard/Luggage van. The roof over the van was raised to form an observatory or 'birdcage', which had to be removed when converted for use on the Island because of the restricted loading gauge.

Conversion also involved the loss of three passenger compartments in order to provide a large luggage van, required to cope with the large volume of luggage belonging to passengers on the heavily loaded summer holiday trains.

Following purchase by the Wight Locomotive Society and initial storage at Newport Station the Chatham Brakes were moved to Havenstreet along with the rest of the railways rolling stock in January 1971.

At Havenstreet both coaches became sleeping and mess vans for the volunteer staff of the railway, a role they fulfilled for more than 10 years. Following thorough restoration both coaches were returned to passenger service although 4149 is currently out of service awaiting underframe repairs.
CW_Bogies_4145
SECR 4-Compartment Brake Third 4145

4168 BOGIE 5-COMPARTMENT BRAKE THIRD LBSCR BUILT 1922 - TO IOW 1938

The underframe of this carriage was built in 1905 and the original vehicle became an ambulance car during the First World War. After the war the body was scrapped and a new one constructed. Following its transfer to the Island it found employment on the Bembridge branch until 1947 when it migrated to 'Main Line' services. By the end of steam 4168 was regarded as a spare coach and finished its days of British Railways service as part of Set 500 in the final steam-hauled service. After preservation 4168 was, for many years, the only serviceable brake coach on the Steam Railway and was formed into every passenger train. Due to a severely corroded underframe, 4168 was withdrawn from service in 1990 and was stored unserviceable until 2007 when work began on restoring the underfarme by an outside contractor. The underframe returned to Havenstreet towards the end of 2007 where it was fully repainted ready and then reunited with the the coach body  in early 2008. 4168 returned to traffic in May 2011, in time to take part in the IWSR 40th Anniversary Gala.
CW_Bogies_2416
LBSCR 5-Compartment Brake Third 4168

6349 BOGIE 8-COMPARTMENT COMPOSITE LBSCR BUILT 1924 - TO IOW 1937

Built by the Southern Railway to a London Brighton and South Coast Railway design, 6349 started life with four First and four Third Class compartments. For Island service one of the Firsts was downgraded to Third and may be recognised by its generous width when compared to the other Thirds.

6349 was moved to Newport in September 1966 and stored with other surplus coaches, although not officially withdrawn from service until November. The coach was then reserved for preservation by the Westerham Railway Museum. This scheme foundered, but through it 6349 had survived long enough to ensure that it was included in the selection of carriages saved by the Wight Locomotive Society.
CW_Bogies_6349
LBSCR 8-Compartment Composite 6349

6375 BOGIE SALOON COMPOSITE SECR BUILT 1911 - TO IOW 1949

When new 6375 had three Second and four First Class compartments, two of the First compartments having access to individual lavatories.

When the coach was selected for transfer to the Isle of Wight some remodeling was required to suit it to its new role. The two lavatories were removed and, with the adjacent compartments, formed into a large saloon.

On the final day of British Railways steam services on the Isle of Wight 6375 formed part of the last train.
CW_Bogies_6375
SECR Saloon Composite 6375

2403 8-COMPARTMENT THIRD LBSCR BUILT 1903

This is the only non-Island carriage in the Isle of Wight Steam Railway collection. 2403 is an Island series number, being the next vacant after the last transferred London, Brighton and South Coast Railway carriage. Two identical coaches did run on the Island and it is for this reason that it has found a place at Havenstreet. 

Its early history has not yet been thoroughly researched although it is known that it was grounded at Runcton, near Chichester in 1931 and built into a bungalow. An appeal raised sufficient money to have the body transported to the Island in 1991. Initial restoration was undertaken as a private venture by the late Kim Chalkey, the railways former Carriage and Wagon Supervisor.

In September 2009 2403 was moved into the Carriage & Wagon Workshop to enable it's restoration to continue.  The work completed so far has included the enlarging of the London end compartment to allow space for up to six wheelchair users.  2403 was lowered onto a refurbished underframe during 2010, the bodywork and fitting out took until 2012 to complete.  2403 entered passenger carrying service in time for the 2012 summer season.
 

CW_Bogies_2403
LBSCR 8-Compartment Third 2403 receives annual maintenance and re-varnishing in the Havenstreet C&W Workshop.
Click HERE to return to the Stock List page or HERE to see details of our Four-Wheeled Carriages

FOLLOW IW STEAM RAILWAY

#

NEXT EVENT

WIZARD WEEK

In a puff of steam it’s Wickedly Wonderful Ha...

23 October - 27 October 2017

• MORE INFO • BOOK NOW

Subscribe to our mailing list

LATEST NEWS

41313 Returning to the Island and Ivatt Gala Announced

41313 will finally be returning to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and an Ivatt Gala has been announced

• READ MORE •

Track Pack - September 2017

The latest news from the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's Civil Engineering Department.

• READ MORE •
- ARCHIVES -