The award-winning Isle of Wight Steam Railway is able to offer a unique opportunity to a suitably qualified and experienced individual to lead its Heritage and Learning Department.
As a Registered Educational Charity and an Arts Council England Accredited Museum, the Steam Railway is one of the top tourist attractions on the Isle of Wight and welcomes 120,000 visitors per annum.
Applicants should have a sound knowledge of the Museum sector and experience of managing and motivating volunteers.
What's the Role?
Our Heritage & Learning Manager leads a team of volunteers who operate our museum, archives, educational activities and Train Story Discovery Centre.
We are looking for a candidate who can do the following:
- Managing the day to day running of the Heritage & Learning Department, incorporating our museum, Train Story Discovery Centre and our educational activities.
- Enhance our education offering, both on site and through outreach.
- Provide line management, leadership and training for our team of dedicated volunteers.
- Maintain the Railway’s Accredited Museum status.
- Working with the wider railway team promote and undertake audience development work.
- Develop historical displays and enhance interpretation of the Railway as a whole.
- Undertake a curatorial role for our museum collections.
- Represent the Railway in meetings with other museums, external partners, funding organisations and professional and industry bodies.
- Promote projects and obtain grant funding to further the work of the department.
- Work with a larger team to plan the expansion of our museum to include new gallery and interpretative spaces and collections storage.
- Promote safe ways of working in line with the Railway’s health & safety and safeguarding policies.
- Work with the Volunteer Development Manager to encourage new volunteers and retain existing volunteers within the department.
- Budget holder for the department.
Who is the person? We’re looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Applicants should have a sound knowledge of the museum sector, with experience of working in a museum or similar heritage attraction.
- Knowledge of curatorial standards and experience of working with historic artefacts.
- Experience of managing and motivating volunteers.
- Experience of arranging and presenting educational activities.
- Understanding of the Museum Accreditation scheme.
- Understanding of education within the heritage sector and a passion for lifelong learning.
- Sound IT knowledge. Experience of Modes software would be advantageous.
- Knowledge and experience of obtaining external grant funding.
- Experience of managing a budget.
- The ability to work flexibly to meet the requirements of the team and wider Railway.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety requirements and experience of writing risk assessments.
- Commitment to further personal development and training and enhancing skills of wider team.
- Salary of £28,000-£31,000 depending on experience.
- Discount on purchases from our café and shop.
- Free admission to the Railway for employees, plus members of their household.
- 75% discount with Hovertravel
- After 6 months service employees are eligible for a staff rail card which gives a 75% discount on rail fares across the UK, 75% discount on Wightlink foot passengers, and 50% discount on Wightlink car fares.
To apply please apply online with your CV and covering letter or write to Steve Backhouse, General Manager, Isle of Wight Railway Co Ltd., The Railway Station, Main Road, Havenstreet, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4DS or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date is 5pm on Wednesday 25 October. Interviews will take place the week commencing Monday 30 October.