1862 Cowes & Newport Railway

1862 Cowes & Newport Railway

1862 Cowes & Newport Railway 150 150 Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Opened on 16th June 1862, this was the first Standard Gauge (4’ 8½”) railway covering the 4½ miles between Cowes and Newport.

This Railway had two blue painted engines appropriately named Pioneer & Precursor which operated all the trains until 1880. This line remained in use for 104 years and closed on 21st February 1966.