1832 Hamstead Tramway

Regarded by historians as the Island’s first railway and built to a relatively high standard, the 2 mile long line was narrow gauge and worked by horses. It was constructed to carry goods by Royal architect John Nash serving his estate; connecting Hamstead Quay and brickworks with surrounding farm land and Hamstead House. Nash’s fortunes declined – and so did the tramway. It probably only lasted 10 to 15 years and had disappeared by 1860 when Ordnance Survey mapping was carried out.

Latest News

WE ARE OPEN ON THE FOLLOWING DAYS:

Skip to content