Built: 1958 Wheel arrangement: 0-6-0 ST Current status: On display at the National Railway Museum, Shildon
Built by the Hunslet Engine Company of Leeds in 1958 for Stewarts and Lloyds, Rutland, ‘Juno’ was put to work in the company’s ironstone quarries railway system. Declared redundant in 1968, ‘Juno’ was purchased in 1969 by the Ivatt Trust and moved to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road. There ‘Juno’ proved to be a valuable asset and was often seen hauling trains at the centre.
Having been out of service for many years, The Ivatt Locomotive Trust generously transferred ownership of ‘Juno’ to The Isle of Wight Steam Railway, and she was moved to the Island to join the Ivatt Trust’s other locomotives in May 2009.
In October 2010 ‘Juno’, as the last untouched and original example of a class of 484, was placed on loan to the National Railway Museum. It is now on display in the Collection Building at ‘Locomotion’ in Shildon.
Click HERE to see the next locomotive history. Click HERE to return to the main locomotives page.